By law, owners name and address must be on a pet collar or on a plate or badge attached to it.

Pets require great care and therefore many services are available to cater to their needs. For any type of information related to pets, from special care for different breeds to where to get a puppy and the best pet health plans please refer to RSPCA or The Kennel Club.

It is important to locate the closest vet clinic to your home as soon as you arrive.

Register your pet with the clinic you choose and ask them what emergency clinic to use out of regular hours. Royal Veterinary College has useful information.

Travelling abroad

Travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland
If you intend to take your pet on a trip to continental Europe they will need an animal health certificate or a valid pet passport, with a proof of the pet’s vaccination status and microchipping date. Most vet clinics can provide one and it should not take too long to obtain (usually between 24hours and 1 week). It costs about £100 and it needs to be obtained no more than 10 days before travelling.
For more information speak to your vet or check the website pet travel to Europe
Travelling to a non-EU country
If you’re travelling to a non-EU country, you’ll need to get an export health certificate (EHC). You’ll also need to complete an export application form (EXA) if you’re in England, Scotland or Wales.
An EHC checks that your pet meets the health requirements of the country you’re travelling to.
Check the rules of the country you’re travelling to for any additional restrictions or requirements before you travel.

All our resources have been recommended by members and/or staff, so you can trust them!

To see all our recommendations members must log in. Not a member? Join now!

Our Members

Our members are international professionals and their families. We soften their landing so they have a successful time in the UK.