Call us: 020 7937 7799

Member login

National insurance number

In order to work or study in the UK you must have a National Insurance Number.
Your NI number is a unique identifier to track your National Insurance contributions and that tax are recorded against your name only.
If you’re moving to the UK you can only apply once you’re here. You must have the right to work or study in the UK to get a National Insurance number. It’s made up of letters and numbers and never changes.

How to apply for a National Insurance Number:

Call JobCentre Plus National Insurance number application line at 0845 600 0643 (8am to 6pm Monday to Friday). The phone line is often busy, so stick with it and you will get through eventually. Jobcentre Plus may write to you and ask you to come to an interview where you’ll be asked about your circumstances and why you need a National Insurance number.
The letter will also tell you which documents to bring to prove your identity, eg:

     - passport or identity card
     - residence permit
     - birth or adoption certificate
     - marriage or civil partnership certificate
     - driving license

You’ll be told at the interview how long it’ll take to receive your National Insurance number.

More information:

The resources in this section are available only to FOCUS members. Members must login to gain full access to the UK Information listings. Not a member? Signup to gain full access.